Please look at this page for our most recent past events or read what others are saying about Susan.
Speaking engagements that include our founder and president, Susan Whitmore, and other Board and/or Advisory Board members are also available. Please state your interest when inquiring.
To schedule Susan Whitmore for a speaking engagement, please contact griefHaven at 310-459-1789 or write to speaking@griefHaven.org
Having lost her only child, Erika Whitmore Godwin, to a rare sinus cancer, Susan Whitmore was inspired to change her life's work from her successful and rewarding career as a Director of Administration for major law firms to helping others who would know the pain of losing a child.
Susan Whitmore left her legal career in 2010 to work full time for griefHaven, devoting all of her time working with parents, siblings, and others directly impacted by the death of a child, and that includes educating specialists who work in any field impacted by the deaths of children. After obtaining her grief specialist training and certificate, she also began the rewarding and successful work of providing one-on-one counseling and facilitating specialized grief groups.
Susan Whitmore's candid yet gentle guidance, combined with her personal experience and wonderful sense of humor, lends itself whole-heartedly to reaching into the hearts and minds of those in need, leaving them with the hope and tangible knowledge of how to go on, how to help someone else go on, and what specifically does and does not work. She has also created a wide variety of support tools so that everyone will have something from which to choose that will help them continue making that journey and knowing they are never alone. Those tools are being used all over the world, and some of them can be seen throughout the griefHaven website.
Susan Whitmore has a wide range of experience and capabilities in this arena and has conducted workshops and speaking engagements from very large to small groups. Her educational and unique approach to the difficult subject of the death of a child is well received by all specialists, including chaplains, hospice caregivers, medical doctors, hospital administrative staff, therapists, nurses, home caregivers, school/university principals and their administrative staff, and teachers. Some of her past engagements include:
Keynote speaker at the griefHaven fundraising events
- Fire Station 69 in Pacific Palisades- January 16, 2017
- 19th Circuit Court of Judges
- Brian Moorman P.U.N.T. Foundation – Buffalo, NY (May, 2015) – Keynote and Workshop Presenter
- UCLA – Los Angeles, CA (Staff Development Workshop)
- Nossaman Law Firm, Irvine, CA
- TJ Coughlin Jay Fund
- Good Morning America
- Grief Relief Television
- Fancy Feet Dance Studio Presents – Santa Monica, California
- CURE Childhood Cancer Org. – Atlanta, Georgia
- Susan Whitmore, Keynote Speaker - CURE’s Weekend of Hope and Healing
- 2013 griefHaven Annual Fundraising Luncheon
- Friends of griefHaven Annual Fundraising Luncheon – Luxe Hotel – Brentwood, CA
- Bereaved Parents of the USA – Yearly Conference – Florida – June 2012
- All-day Workshop – Roswell Park Cancer Institute - Buffalo, NY – June 2012
- Cedars Sinai Medical Center
- Educational Event - Mary Crest Manor – Culver City, CA – May 2012
- Educational Event – Companion Hospice Center – Pasadena, CA – August 2012
- Susan and Wendell Whitmore, griefHaven Board Members, and Rev. Pam Washburn, Advisory Board Member Workshop – International Assoc. of Professional Chaplains – San Francisco, CA
- The Pacific Palisades, California Yogurt Shoppe Creates A Fund-Raising Event For griefHaven - March 2012
- Shopping For A Cause and the Cause is griefHaven! - March 18, 2009
- San Fernando Valley Counseling Center
- Association of Professional Chaplains
- Westside Council of Bereavement Facilitators
- Healing the Grieving Heart ~ Finding Meaning After Losing Erika
- Tu Nidito Conference in Tucson
- We at griefHaven congratulate John Walsh, Marc Klaas and all of those who made passing Adam's Law a reality.
- Susan Whitmore speaks at Cottage Hospital in Santa Barbara, California
- GriefHaven Supports Brakes for Brett
- Our House Fund-Raising Event
- Susan & Wendell Whitmore Help Klaas' Kids With Fingerprinting
- Balloon Release and Prayer Service for Jennifer and Adrianna Wix
- The 2007 Peace of Heart Fund-Raising Dinner
- The 2005 Peace of Heart Award
For a complete list, please contact us at (310) 459-1789 or email us directly at hope@griefHaven.org.
Susan Whitmore also regularly speaks to support groups and at conferences held for parents, siblings, and other family members impacted by a child’s death. Susan has been sought out as an expert on grief following the death of a child and has been seen on the nightly news and television shows (some of which you can view on this website). She has also been heard on several radio shows (some of them available to hear on this website).
For a PR Packet, Curriculum Vitae, questions, or how to book Susan Whitmore, please contact us at 310-459-1789 or email us at speaking@griefHaven.org